The Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission (ACNC) has recently released the Australian Charities Report for 2017.
The Australian Charities Report 2017 is the fifth annual analysis of the information the ACNC receives from charities in their Annual Information Statements. Download the full report here.
Key findings include:
- Total revenue of $146.1 billion
- Government grants as a revenue source increased by $7 billion
- Donations and bequests as a revenue source totalled $9.9 billion
- 3.3 million volunteers across Australia’s charities
- Most registered charities (36%) are ‘extra small’, a subset of small
- 30% of charities reported their main activity was religious activities
- 4,567 charities operate overseas
- The most common overseas operating locations include:
- Papua New Guinea
- New Zealand